Disclaimer: This content is not intended to be financial advice and is for informational purposes only. aTimeforCash is reader-supported. We may earn commissions if you buy through our links at no cost to you.
Hey Cash App-ers (or former Cash App-ers).
MANY people are reporting that Cash App is randomly closing accounts.
Frustrating – right?
Even a popular YouTube Cash App influencer had his account banned for seemingly NO reason which is crazy considering how many people he has likely sent Cash App’s way.
In most cases, Cash App is refusing to tell people WHY their accounts have been closed too.
This has led to all kinds of headaches for many, especially when you KNOW you’re following the rules and not doing anything sketchy.
So WHY would Cash App ban these accounts and maybe more important, WHAT can you do about it? The answer might surprise you.
Why Did Cash App Close Your Account?
Cash App can decide to close an account due to a number of reasons including at their own discretion (aka because they want to).
Like I said before, typically Cash App support won’t tell you why your account was closed or banned.
To make things even MORE frustrating…
Cash App is reportedly using an A.I. to find and ban accounts.
This has caused accounts to be banned for silly things like buying/using bitcoin (which is available in Cash App).
Also, users have reported they have been banned shortly after having a chargeback through Cash App (which costs Cash App money).
Some of the other reasons why your Cash App account is closed include:
Violation of Terms of Service
Below are some activities that constitute a violation of Cash App policies.
MOST of them are pretty obvious.
You can review Cash App’s full terms of service by clicking here.
- Fraud or Privacy Scam – Carrying out any fraud with your Cash App account can get your account banned (as should be expected).
- Age – You need to be 18 years or older to create an account on Cash App.
- Citizenship – Only U.S. citizens are allowed to sign up and use Cash App to send and receive money. Any account created outside of the US is likely to be banned.
- Identity Verification – Failure to verify your identity after multiple transactions could also result in an account ban. Cash App requires all users to upload an original photo ID proof and the last four digits of SSN.
- Several Unsuccessful Login Attempts – Cash App may flag your account due to multiple attempts to login into your Cash App account.
Banned For Gambling
According to Cash App’s terms, any unlawful internet gambling could get your account closed.
So if you’re using your Cash App to put money on the big game, you’re also “betting” that Cash App won’t close your account.
Unfortunately, many people lose that bet.
RELATED: Where Can I Load My Cash App Card?
What Happens if a Cash App Account is Closed?
If your Cash App account is closed/banned, you should be able to still log in.
You WON’T be able to actually do anything with your account (like send/receive money) and your Cash App card won’t work.
After logging in…
The first thing you should do is contact support to see if you can somehow convince them to at least tell you why your account was banned and if they can do anything to get your account back.
In general, they won’t be able to do either and most of the responses they give you will be automated or copied/pasted.
Assuming you can’t get your account back and you have direct deposits set up, you’ll want to turn those off ASAP.
I STRONGLY suggest NOT using Cash App for any direct deposits they can and do ban accounts, and having to change your direct deposits around all the time is a pain.
Instead, I recommend using something like Chime for direct deposits.
You can EASILY use Chime with Cash App and you won’t have nearly as much of a headache if your Cash App account gets banned again.
At least you CAN withdraw your funds from Cash App.
If your account is banned, you’ll be given an opportunity to transfer funds out of your account and to sell any bitcoin you may have purchased.
But it’s still a HUGE pain.
Then you can set up a new Cash App account (if you want).
I’ll show you how later in this post.
How to Get Unbanned From Cash App (Step-by-Step)
Getting your account back after Cash App has closed it is difficult, to say the least.
Cash App support is NOTORIOUS for refusing to tell you why your account was closed.
To make matters worse…
They typically only give you copy/pasted replies and automated responses.
Because who doesn’t LOVE unhelpful customer support? I know I do (insert eye roll here).
The ONLY way for you to get your Cash App account back is if support decides to let you have it back.
This means your only option is to contact Cash App support and TRY to get get it back.
I’ll warn you now though…
The odds of you getting your Cash App account back is VERY low.
In most cases, you’re better off just setting up a new one (something Cash App support often recommends).
Anyhow, to contact Cash App support so you can try to get your account back:
- Step 1: Open Cash App and log in to your account (which you can even if your account has been banned).
- Step 2: Tap on your profile icon in the top right corner of Cash App.
- Step 3: Scroll down and tap on “Support”.
- Step 4: Scroll down to the bottom and tap on “Start a Chat”. Type out a message to Cash App support explaining what happened and why you don’t think your account should be banned. Then cross your fingers and hope they agree to unban it.
RELATED: How to Deposit Checks with Cash App
Can You Get Your Money Back if Cash App Closes Your Account?
Yes, you can withdraw your money out of your account if Cash App closes your account.
You can also sell any bitcoin you’ve purchased and withdraw those funds as well.
The process of doing each is the EXACT same as it normally would be if your account hadn’t been closed.
If for some reason you run into any issues, you should contact Cash App support for help and they can walk you through the process.
If Cash App Closes Your Account, Can You Reopen Another?
Yes, you can open another Cash App account if your previous one got banned.
For MOST people this is your ONLY option and is what Cash App support often recommends you do.
So how do you open another Cash app account if yours gets banned? I’ll show you below.
RELATED: Common Cash App Questions
How to Open Another Cash App Account
To open another Cash App account if your first one gets banned, here are steps to follow.
- Step 1: Open Cash App. If you’re still logged in to the Cash App account that was banned/closed, you’ll need to log out of it.
- Step 2: Click on your profile icon in the top right corner.
- Step 3: Scroll down and tap on the Sign Out option
- Step 4: You’ll be redirected to the Sign In page once you sign out of the current account. Use a different email address or phone number to sign into your account. This will take you through the process of setting up a new account.
Keep in mind…
You CAN use your previous bank/debit card information when setting up a new Cash App (in most cases).
The only real difference is you’ll be using a new email address or phone number to sign into your account.
Wrapping Up – How to Reopen a Closed Cash App Account
- Cash App can randomly close your account for basically any reason, even if you aren’t doing anything wrong or against their terms.
- You can try to contact Cash App Support to see if they will tell you why your account was banned (assuming you don’t know like most people). Typically they are unwilling/unable to do much to help and oftentimes won’t even tell you why it was banned.
- Cash App does allow you to transfer any funds and sell any stock/bitcoin that you may have in your Cash App account.
- You can set up a new Cash App account using the old info ACCEPT you need to use a different email address or phone number when setting up and logging into the new account.