Disclaimer: This content is not intended to be financial advice and is for informational purposes only. aTimeforCash is reader-supported. We may earn commissions if you buy through our links.
Ever wonder when your Chime deposits or direct deposits will hit your account?
There are currently over 27 million online bank accounts open throughout the United States – with Chime being one of the biggest players in the industry so it isn’t a surprise people have questions about how Chime deposits work.
When it comes to deposits using Chime, these are some important things you should know. In this post, we cover many of these things.
In This Post:
- 1) What Time Does Chime Direct Deposit Hit?
- 2) Does Chime Direct Deposit Early?
- 3) How to Setup Early Direct Deposits with Chime (Step-by-Step)
- 4) Does Your First Direct Deposit with Chime Come 2 Days Early?
- 5) How Long Does Chime Direct Deposit Take?
- 6) Why am I Not Getting Paid 2 Days Early with Chime?
- 7) Does Chime Direct Deposit on Weekends?
- 8) Does Chime Charge for Direct Deposit?
- 9) How to Know the Status of Your Direct Deposit on Chime
- 10) Does Chime Show Pending Deposits?
- 11) Does Chime Have Mobile Check Deposits?
- 12) How Long Does Chime Mobile Check Deposit Take?
- 13) What Time Does Chime Deposit Tax Refunds?
- 14) What Time Does Chime Deposit Unemployment?
- 15) Can Chime Deposit Personal Checks?
- 16) Can Chime Deposit 3rd Party Checks?
- 17) Can You Deposit a Check at an ATM with Chime?
- 18) Can You Deposit a Cashier’s Check Into Your Chime Account?
- 19) How Do You Deposit a Check into Your Chime Account? (Step-By-Step)
- 20) Can You Deposit a Money Order In Your Chime Account?
- 21) Can You Deposit Cash with Chime?
- 22) Can You Deposit Cash at an ATM with Chime?
- 23) Does Chime Charge to Deposit Cash?
- 24) Does Chime Accept ACH Deposits?
- 25) Does Chime Deposit on Holidays?
- 26) Does Chime Have a Deposit Limit?
- 27) Does Chime Have a Direct Deposit Limit?
- 28) Is Chime Safe for Direct Deposit?
- 29) Why Did Chime Reject my Direct Deposit?
- 30) Does Chime Accept SBA Loan Deposits?
- 31) Does Chime Accept PPP Loan Deposits?
- Wrapping Up
1) What Time Does Chime Direct Deposit Hit?
As a general rule of thumb, direct deposits with Chime will be in your Chime checking account by 9:00 AM EST on your typical payday. This, however, is the latest you will get your direct deposit with Chime, and often times it will come earlier than that.
If your employer and their bank process things early enough you could get your direct deposit up to two days prior to your normal payday.
If this is your first direct deposit with your Chime checking account, don’t be surprised if this one is slower with future direct deposits being made into your account often a fair amount faster – possibly up to 2 days faster.
Below shows the latest you should expect direct deposits in your Chime checking account by day:
- Monday: By 9 AM EST
- Tuesday: By 9 AM EST
- Wednesday: By 9 AM EST
- Thursday: By 9 AM EST
- Friday: By 9 AM EST
- Weekends & Federal Holidays: No deposits processed
- Day After Holidays: By 9 AM EST
2) Does Chime Direct Deposit Early?
Chime offers the ability for you to receive your direct deposit payments up to 2 days early into your Chime checking account depending on how quickly your employer and their bank process things.
To do this, you need to already have direct deposits established with your employer using your Spending Account. If you haven’t done so yet, this is the first thing you need to do.
RELATED: Does Chime Work with Zelle?
3) How to Setup Early Direct Deposits with Chime (Step-by-Step)
- Log in to your Chime account from within the app or online.
- Find and select the “Move Money” option to locate your Chime checking account number and routing number. If you’d prefer, you can alternatively get a pre-filled form sent to you by selecting to have it emailed or by printing or downloading it.
- Give your account number and routing number to your employer – or if you have one, give them a pre-filled form.
- Verify you are receiving your direct deposits correctly.
4) Does Your First Direct Deposit with Chime Come 2 Days Early?
As a general rule, your first direct deposit with Chime will not come 2 days early. However, subsequent direct deposits at least have the potential of being available in your Chime checking account up to 2 days early.
How long it takes for you to actually receive your money will depend on how fast your employer and their bank process things.
5) How Long Does Chime Direct Deposit Take?
As a general rule of thumb, your direct deposit with Chime will be available in your Chime checking account about 3 days after your employer submits payroll to their bank. In many cases, this will result in you getting paid up to 2 days before your actual payday.
6) Why am I Not Getting Paid 2 Days Early with Chime?
There are a few reasons why you may not receive your direct deposit 2 days early with Chime.
The most common reason for you to not get paid 2 days early with Chime is often either your employer or your employer’s bank has processed things too slowly resulting in the delay.
Additionally, if your payday falls on a holiday weekend, your payment may be delayed.
Another potential reason why you may not get paid 2 days early with Chime is that this is your first payment with them. If it is, the first one is typically slower but many times subsequent deposits will be at least faster.
RELATED: Does Chime Work with Cash App?
7) Does Chime Direct Deposit on Weekends?
Chime only direct deposits Monday through Friday and not on Saturday or Sunday. They do not process direct deposits on weekends (no banks do).
If for some reason your funds were supposed to arrive in your Chime checking account on the weekend, it will typically arrive the following Monday or whatever the next business day is.
8) Does Chime Charge for Direct Deposit?
Chime does not charge a fee for direct depositing money into your Chime checking account.
For more information about fees and how to avoid paying them, click here.
9) How to Know the Status of Your Direct Deposit on Chime
You can instantly receive a push notification and email when your funds hit your Chime checking account.
In order to receive these notifications, you need to enable transaction notifications within your account.
You can also try contacting Chime to see where your direct deposit is but since Chime doesn’t put a hold on deposits and instantly adds them to your bank account as soon as you receive them, it is unlikely they will be able to tell you much.
10) Does Chime Show Pending Deposits?
Yes, Chime shows pending deposits right on its main screen.
You can see which deposits are pending based on the color of the dollar amounts. Deposits that are pending are gray in color.
This makes it fast and easy to see which deposits haven’t hit your account yet.
11) Does Chime Have Mobile Check Deposits?
Chime offers free mobile check deposits for members who currently have a spending account.
However, your eligibility to use mobile check deposits is determined by Chime and is based on your account history among several other factors.
If for some reason you aren’t able to use mobile check deposits, make sure to contact Chime support to find out exactly why.
12) How Long Does Chime Mobile Check Deposit Take?
In general, you should plan on having a mobile check deposit with Chime taking up to 5 business days for it to clear and for those funds to be accessible. This is standard in the banking industry and not specific to just Chime users.
Mobile check deposits using Chime can vary greatly in the length of time it takes for the transaction to be complete.
This is due in large part to the fact that there are other banks at play and how fast they process things will also affect the length of time for your mobile check deposit to clear.
It may be faster than that but it’s always best to plan for the worst and hope for the best.
13) What Time Does Chime Deposit Tax Refunds?
Unfortunately, it is impossible to know the exact time that your tax refund will be deposited in your Chime account but at the latest, it should be by 9 AM EST just like a typical direct deposit would be.
Deposits with Chime are processed in batches so if the processing of the batch is slow or if your tax refund deposit happens to be at the end of the batch, this can affect the exact time you receive it in your Chime account.
14) What Time Does Chime Deposit Unemployment?
Unemployment payments should be deposited in your Chime account by no later than 9 AM EST though typically it will be earlier than that.
Like all deposits with Chime, they are processed in batches so if the processing of the batch is slow or if yours happens to be at the end of the batch, it will determine the exact time you get the unemployment payment.
15) Can Chime Deposit Personal Checks?
Yes, you can deposit personal checks into your Chime account by using the Chime App on your smartphone if you have direct deposits set up with your account. This is of course assuming that the check is made out to you and signed by the person who wrote out the check.
I will show you exactly how to use mobile check deposits step-by-step below.
16) Can Chime Deposit 3rd Party Checks?
As a general rule of thumb, bank regulations prohibit 3rd parties from making deposits into other people’s accounts and Chime is no different.
Of course, someone could pretend to be you assuming they had your bank account information and PIN but it seems like an unnecessary risk when you could just use an app like Venmo or Cash App to take care of sending money.
17) Can You Deposit a Check at an ATM with Chime?
Unfortunately, Chime does not accept check deposits at any ATM location. To deposit a check, it is instead recommended that you do so from within the Chime app.
18) Can You Deposit a Cashier’s Check Into Your Chime Account?
Yes, you can deposit a cashier’s check into your Chime account. The process of depositing a cashier’s check into your Chime account is nearly identical to depositing any other check into your Chime account.
19) How Do You Deposit a Check into Your Chime Account? (Step-By-Step)
To use mobile check deposits using your Chime app, you first must have direct deposits set up with your Chime account. If you don’t, you won’t be able to use the mobile check deposit feature.
1) Open your Chime app on your smartphone and tap on “Move Money” from the menu at the bottom of the app.
2) Tap on “Mobile Check Deposit” from the “Add money to Chime” section.
3) Select which type of check this is by choosing U.S. Treasury, Payroll Provider, or Other. If depositing a personal check, cashier’s check, or money order, choose “Other” to make the deposit.
4) Use the app to take a photo of both the front and back of the check.
20) Can You Deposit a Money Order In Your Chime Account?
Yes, you can deposit a money order into your Chime account. The process of depositing a money order is nearly identical to depositing a check and can be done from within the Chime app.
21) Can You Deposit Cash with Chime?
Yes, You can deposit cash with Chime. To deposit cash into your Chime account, bring your cash and your Chime debit card to one of 90,000 retail locations and have a cashier assist you with adding the cash to your account.
This can be done at Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, 7-Eleven, and many additional national retail chains.
To find locations near you where you can deposit cash into your Chime account, go into your Chime app, tap on “Move Money” and then choose “Deposit Cash”. On the following screen, tap on the “See locations near me” button.
22) Can You Deposit Cash at an ATM with Chime?
You can not deposit cash at an ATM using your Chime account. You can, however, load cash onto your Chime Card at many stores including Walmart, Walgreens, and CVS.
RELATED: Does Chime Work with Venmo?
23) Does Chime Charge to Deposit Cash?
Chime does not charge a fee to deposit cash. However, the retail locations that you need to go to in order to deposit cash into your Chime account may charge up to $4.95 to do so.
24) Does Chime Accept ACH Deposits?
Yes, Chime accepts ACH deposits and in most cases, ACH deposits should be available in your Chime account by no later than 9 AM EST the following morning when the deposit was initiated.
25) Does Chime Deposit on Holidays?
Chime does not deposit money into your account on any banking Holidays. This includes New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Washington’s Birthday/Presidents’ Day, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
26) Does Chime Have a Deposit Limit?
The only deposit limits with your Chime account involve you depositing cash into your account at retail locations. In this case, you are limited to making 3 deposits or a total of $1,000 every 24 hours or up to $10,000 per month.
27) Does Chime Have a Direct Deposit Limit?
Chime does not have a direct deposit limit currently. If you need to deposit a very large sum of money though, I would suggest contacting Chime to ensure there won’t be any issues with doing so.
28) Is Chime Safe for Direct Deposit?
Yes, Chime is safe for direct deposits and is FDIC insured for up to $250,000.
29) Why Did Chime Reject my Direct Deposit?
In most cases, Chime rejected your direct deposit because it was a loan of some kind and what Chime has deemed to be business-related. Chime states that it is only for personal use and not for business use and consequently it may reject deposits it associates with business use.
If you aren’t trying to deposit anything business-related, I recommend contacting Chime support to see if there is something else that may be causing the issue.
30) Does Chime Accept SBA Loan Deposits?
Despite the fact some people have reported that they have no problem receiving them, Chime officially says they will reject any SBA Loan deposits due to the fact their accounts are meant for personal use and not business use.
Instead, I recommend joining a bank that is specifically for business owners like Novo or Lili. Both of these banks are online and have some great tools and features for business owners.
31) Does Chime Accept PPP Loan Deposits?
Similar to SBA Loans, some PPP Loans are being rejected while others are being accepted. Officially Chime has stated it is meant for personal use and not business use and consequently, it will reject PPP Loan deposits.
Considering it has accepted some but not others, this has led to a fear amount of confusion amongst business owners using Chime.
If you are a business owner, I recommend switching away from using Chime and instead of using an online bank made specifically for business owners such as NOVO or Lili which both have some great features for business owners.
Chime makes it super simple to receive deposits in your account.
They don’t charge a fee and in some cases, you may be able to get your money 2 days earlier than you normally would when using their direct deposit service.
Setting up early direct deposits is basically the exact same process as setting up any other direct deposit service – you just give your bank account number and routing number to your employer and sign whatever forms they need you to sign and you should be all set.
- Ron Shevlin, Senior Contributor, Forbes – https://www.forbes.com/sites/ronshevlin/2020/11/16/how-14-billion-chime-is-dominating-digital-banking-and-all-of-banking/?sh=600e97f82210
- Chime – https://help.chime.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001500648-Where-s-my-direct-deposit
- Chime Support, https://help.chime.com/hc/en-us