Disclaimer: This content is not intended to be financial advice and is for informational purposes only. aTimeforCash is reader-supported. We may earn commissions if you buy through our links at no cost to you.
Check this out…
Did you know that you can mobile deposit checks using the Chime app?
If you’re like me…
You probably ASSUMED you could but since it’s so infrequent to get a physical check anymore, you never really looked into it (for many people anyway).
You wouldn’t be here if you DIDN’T have a check to deposit (or will anyway).
So CAN you make mobile check deposits using Chime?
Can You Mobile Deposit Checks on Chime?
Yes, you can mobile deposit checks using the Chime App. However, you’re required to setup direct deposits with your Chime account to access the mobile check deposit feature.
So that’s good BUT also disappointing/annoying to have that stipulation (at least in my opinion).
ESPECIALLY if you bank somewhere else in addition to having a Chime account or if you don’t get paid via direct deposit.
Assuming you have access…
You can deposit personal checks, business checks, cashiers checks, and even your stimulus check using the mobile check deposit feature.
Which is good but pretty standard these days.
So how EXACTLY do you use the mobile deposit feature with Chime and what other IMPORTANT info should you know?
How to Mobile Deposit a Check on Chime (Step-By-Step)
Mobile depositing checks using Chime is pretty similar to any other mobile check deposit feature (if you’ve ever used one).
The biggest thing to be aware of (if you missed it in the intro) is you WON’T have access to the mobile check deposit feature unless you’ve set up direct deposits using your Chime account.
This is how to mobile deposit a check using Chime:
- Step 1: Open the Chime app and log in to your account.
- Step 2: Tap on “Move Money” at the bottom of the app.
- Step 3: Tap on “Mobile check deposit”.
- Step 4: Then choose the type of check you’re depositing and enter the amount of your deposit.
- Step 5: Next, use your phones camera to take a photo of the front and back of your check. Make sure it’s properly endorsed before doing so. Review things and then submit it for approval.
How to Endorse Your Check
To endorse your check for a mobile check deposit, sign the back of the check where it says “endorse here” and then write below it “for mobile deposit only”.
Technically you don’t HAVE to write “for mobile deposit only”, but it’s recommended in case you misplace the check so someone can’t take it to get cashed.
How Long Do Mobile Check Deposits Take – Are They Instant?
Mobile check deposits using Chime are NOT instant and can take UP TO 5 business days to process/clear and be available in your account.
In most cases, they’ll clear MUCH QUICKER than 5 business days (sometimes in a matter of only a few hours).
During this time, your mobile check deposit will show as “pending” in your Chime account.
I’ll show you how to check it in a sec.
When you’re waiting for your mobile check deposit to clear, it’s important to KEEP your check in case there are any issues with your deposit.
Trust me, it sucks to have your deposit fail and NOT have the check still.
How to See If Your Deposit is Pending
You can check to see if your mobile check deposit is pending by using the Chime app or Chime website.
Your deposit value will show up in grey text (as opposed to green) and will be showing in the “pending deposits” section of your transaction history (at the top of your transaction history).
Are There Fees?
There are NO fees when using mobile check deposits with Chime.
So THAT’S good – but also pretty standard?
Are There Limits?
Yes, there are limits when making mobile check deposits.
The limit amount will vary from person to person.
When you make a mobile check deposit, it will show you your current limit (on the screen where you enter your deposit amount).
You can also check your current mobile check deposit limit by doing the following:
- Step 1: Open your Chime app and log in to your account.
- Step 2: Tap on the gear icon in the top left corner of the app.
- Step 3: Scroll down and tap on “View Limits”.
- Step 4: Scroll down until you find the section for “Mobile check deposits”. These are your current limits for mobile depositing checks using Chime.
What’s the Cut Off Time?
There isn’t a specific cut off time to mobile deposit checks using Chime.
You can make them 24 hours a day, 7 days per week, 365 days per year.
Depositing them during normal business hours MIGHT help speed up the process of having your checks clear – but obviously that isn’t a guarantee.
if you’re making a deposit late in the week or near a Federal/bank holiday, you should expect a delay.
Why Won’t Chime Accept my Mobile Check Deposit?
There are a few reasons why Chime might reject your mobile check deposit.
I will list several of the more common reasons but if you’re still having problems, I recommend contacting Chime support to try to figure out the issue (I’ll show you how below).
5 common reasons why Chime might reject your mobile check deposit:
- The photo of the front and/or back of the check isn’t clear and/or easy to read. Ensure you’re using a well let room when doing this and that the image is in focus.
- You failed to properly endorse the back of the check.
- The person who filled out the check didn’t write clearly so Chime wasn’t able to read what was written on the check. You may need a new check from the person (or business) that issued it to you.
- The amount of the deposit you entered doesn’t match what’s written on the check.
- You’re trying to deposit a check that’s already been deposited (aka a duplicate deposit).
How to Contact Chime Support
There are a few different ways that you can contact Chime support.
- Within the Chime app: Tap on the question mark icon in the top left corner of the app to bring up your support options from within the app.
- By phone: 1 (844) 244-6363
- By email: email@example.com
Wrapping Up – Chime Mobile Check Deposits
- You can mobile deposit checks using the Chime App. However, you’re required to have direct deposits setup with your Chime account to access the feature.
- Mobile check deposits are not instant and could take up to 5 business days to clear (though typically it’s much faster than that).
- There are limits when making mobile check deposits. Your limit amount will vary from person to person. To see what yours is, you can check it within the app. It will also tell you the limit amount when you’re making a mobile check deposit.