Disclaimer: This content is not intended to be financial advice and is for informational purposes only. aTimeforCash is reader-supported. We may earn commissions if you buy through our links at no cost to you.
Hey Cash App-ers!
Check this out…
In recent months, Cash App has started to roll out the ability to deposit a check through its platform using a mobile check deposit feature.
Good news – right? I thought so too.
This feature is currently ONLY available for some Cash App users although that will likely change in the coming months.
At the moment, a limited number of users have access to this feature but Cash App has said that it will be rolling it out to all users in the near future.
So if you don’t have it just yet, DON’T worry.
It shouldn’t be TOO much longer before you are able to deposit a check on Cash App.
If you DO have the ability to deposit checks using Cash App, this is how to do it:
- Tap your account balance in the bottom left corner of Cash App.
- Tap on the option to mobile deposit a check.
- Specify the amount of the check you’re depositing.
- Use the camera on your smartphone to take a picture of the front and back of the check. Remember to endorse the back of your check.
Don’t worry, I include a more detailed step-by-step guid how to do it below as well.
There are other things you should also know when using the mobile check deposit feature with Cash App.
Keep reading to learn more.
Can You Deposit Checks Using Cash App?
As a general rule of thumb, YES you can deposit physical or paper checks using Cash App.
As stated above, this feature is currently ONLY available for some Cash App users though it’s safe to assume it will be available to everyone in the not-too-distant future.
There doesn’t really seem to be any clue as to why some have it while others don’t.
The only logical explanation is that Cash App is trying to work out any bugs before releasing it to everyone.
Your guess is as good as mine though as to why.
If you don’t have the functionality yet and you’re looking for a mobile check cashing app, the only thing you can probably do at this point is to wait.
Contacting Cash App support won’t give you a clear explanation.
Some people have said that if you upgrade your Cash App account to a business account, you will get the instant mobile check deposit functionality.
However, this may not be the case for everyone.
It’s worth trying, but don’t be surprised if it does not work.
If you are currently able to deposit checks using Cash App (or if you eventually gain this ability in the future), the process is actually quite simple.
RELATED: Does Chime Work With Cash App?
How to Mobile Deposit Checks on Cash App (Step-By-Step)
As we’ve established above, some people have the mobile check deposit feature using Cash App while others don’t yet have it.
To deposit a check using Cash App:
- Step 1: Open Cash App on your Android or iOS device and tap on your balance in the bottom left corner of Cash App.
- Step 2: Scroll down and tap on the option to deposit a check. If you don’t see this option it is because you don’t yet have this feature with your Cash App.
- Step 3: Enter a dollar amount of the deposit that you’d like to make. In this case, it would be the amount of the check you are depositing.
- Step 4: Finally, when prompted you will use mobile check capture and take a photo of the front and back of the check.
Make sure the check is endorsed before trying to deposit it. We cover exactly how later in this post. If things are done correctly, the funds will be added to your Cash App balance within 4 business days.
Paper Check Requirements For Deposit with Cash App
In order to deposit a check with Cash App, some requirements must be met. They are listed below.
- The check needs to be written to you. This means the check must be made out in your name and nobody else’s.
- The check needs to be payable in US Dollars.
- The check needs to be a paper check and not an electronic check.
- The check needs to have a valid ABA Routing Number, Account Number, and Check Number.
- The check has been properly signed by the person or company who issued the check.
- The amount of the check is equal to or less than the mobile check deposit limit.
- The check is dated and it hasn’t been more than 90 days since it was issued.
- The check has not been previously deposited already.
- The check is unaltered.
- The check has been properly endorsed by you. We cover a little later on in this post how to properly endorse our check.
Once you have ensured that all of the requirements for depositing a check are met, you can go ahead and follow the steps listed above to do so.
As always, if you have any questions or concerns about this process, feel free to reach out to Cash App support for assistance.
We cover the best way to contact Cash App support below.
Are There Fees When Depositing a Check with Cash App?
I contacted Cash App customer service to ask if there were any costs associated with mobile check deposits using Cash App since there was no useful information available on the internet about these fees.
As it turns out, Cash App does not charge any fees for mobile check deposits.
Are There Limits for Depositing Checks with Cash App?
Cash App has some limits for depositing checks. You can deposit up to $3,500 per check and up to 5 checks totaling $7,500 per month. If a check is declined, it counts toward your monthly limit of 5 checks.
Can I Increase my Mobile Check Deposit Limit?
In most cases, you can increase your limits with Cash App, including your mobile check deposit limit, by verifying your Cash App account.
If you have not yet verified your Cash App account, it is a very simple process. In order to verify your account, you will need to provide some personal information as well as a valid form of identification.
To verify your Cash App account:
- Step 1: Open Cash App on your Android or iOS device and log in to your account.
- Step 2: Tap on your balance in the bottom left corner of Cash App.
- Step 3: Scroll down and tap on the option to verify your account.
- Step 4: Enter the required information and then tap on “Submit” when you are finished.
- Step 5: You will then be asked to take a photo of your valid form of identification. Once you have done this, your account will be verified, and typically your limits will be increased.
How Long Does it Take for a Check Deposit to Clear with Cash App?
If you make a mobile check deposit using Cash App before 7 PM on Monday-Friday, the money should be available in your Cash App account within 4 business days.
What If You Have Problems Depositing a Physical Check Using Cash App?
The mobile check functionality is still somewhat buggy, according to some users.
This isn’t much of a surprise since Cash App hasn’t yet expanded the service to everyone.
If you are wanting to cash a check online instantly using Cash App and have issues, you can always try to contact support to see if they can help.
How to Contact Cash App Support if You Have problems
Like with any issue, the first thing you should do is contact Cash App customer support.
The easiest way to do this is from within Cash App itself.
To contact Cash App support from within Cash App:
- Tap on your profile icon in the top right corner of Cash App.
- Scroll down and then tap on “Support”.
- You can try searching for an answer to your question but since mobile check depositing is a new feature, it is unlikely you will find much help. Instead, scroll down and tap on “Chat with support”. Type out your question or issue that you are having and a Cash App representative will help you as soon as they can (though it may take several hours to get a response).
To call Cash App Support
If you are unable to find an answer to your question or you are having trouble depositing a check using Cash App, you can always reach out to customer support by phone.
The phone number for Cash App customer support is 1 (800) 969-1940.
When you call Cash App customer support, you will likely be asked to verify your identity by providing some personal information.
Once your identity has been verified, a customer support representative will be able to help you with your issue.
How to Endorse a Check for Deposit Using Cash App
Before you can mobile deposit a check using Cash App, you have to make sure you properly endorse the check you’re trying to deposit.
This is how to endorse the check:
- Sign your name on the back of the check above the endorsement line.
- Write “For Deposit Only” beneath your signature.
- Date the check and write today’s date.
- Make sure the amount of the check is legible.
- Take a picture of both sides of the endorsed check with your smartphone.
Once you have endorsed the check, you can follow the steps above to use the mobile check deposit feature using Cash App.
Wrapping Up – How to Deposit Checks Using Cash App
Cash App offers a very simple and easy way to deposit physical checks using your smartphone. The process is straightforward and Cash App does not charge any fees for check deposits.
There are some limits in place, depending on the amount of the check, and the money should be available in your account within 4 business days after depositing if you do so before 7 PM on a weekday.
If you have any trouble depositing a check, the best thing to do is reach out to Cash App customer support for help. You can do this easily from within Cash App itself.