Disclaimer: This content is not intended to be financial advice and is for informational purposes only. aTimeforCash is reader-supported. We may earn commissions if you buy through our links at no cost to you.
Have you ever sent a Venmo payment to the wrong person? I know I have.
With Venmo processing $159 billion in total payment volume in 2020, undoubtedly a fairly large number of people have also sent a Venmo payment just to realize they sent it to the wrong account. (1)
So what can you do? How can you cancel a Venmo payment if you need to?
Here is what you need to know when it comes to canceling a Venmo payment.
In This Post:
- Can You Cancel a Venmo Payment?
- How Long Do You Have to Cancel a Venmo Payment?
- How to Cancel a Venmo Payment (Step-By-Step)
- How to Get a Refund if You Sent a Venmo Payment to the Wrong person (Step-By-Step)
- Can You Dispute a Venmo Payment?
- Can You Cancel a Venmo Bank Transfer?
- How to Contact Venmo Customer Support
- Wrapping Up
Can You Cancel a Venmo Payment?
You can cancel a Venmo payment if the person you sent the payment to has an inactive Venmo account.
This is the only scenario where you can technically cancel a Venmo payment and have the funds returned to your account without needing the assistance of Venmo support or to do anything more.
If you accidentally sent your payment to the wrong person, however, or if you’ve been scammed, you may have a few other options to consider which may or may not help.
I will discuss these more in-depth momentarily.
RELATED: Does Chime Work with Venmo?
How Long Do You Have to Cancel a Venmo Payment?
If the person you sent your Venmo payment to fails to accept your payment within three days, it’ll automatically get canceled and the funds will be returned to your account.
Alternatively, Venmo also allows you to manually cancel the payment from the Venmo app if the person has an inactive Venmo account and consequently the recipient hasn’t accepted it yet.
How to Cancel a Venmo Payment (Step-By-Step)
If the person you sent a Venmo Payment to has an inactive account and hasn’t accepted your Venmo payment yet, this is how you can cancel that payment.
Using the Venmo App:
1) On the Venmo app, tap on the hamburger menu icon in the top right corner of the screen.
2) From the options, tap on “Incomplete”.
3) Next, tap on the “Payments” tab. This is where you should see the payment you made here.
4) If you are able to get your money back, a “Take Back” button should be visible. If it is, tap on it. A confirmation message will pop up asking if you want to cancel the payment. Select confirm.
Using the Venmo Website:
1) Go to the Venmo website and log in to your account.
2) On the left side of the screen, click on “Incomplete”.
3) Next, click on the “Payments” tab and find the payment that you made that you are wanting to cancel.
4) If you are able to cancel the payment, a “Take Back” button will be visible. If it is, click on this button. You will then see a confirmation message pop up asking if you want to cancel the payment. Click on confirm.
How to Get a Refund if You Sent a Venmo Payment to the Wrong person (Step-By-Step)
It can be very easy to accidentally send a Venmo payment to the wrong Venmo account as there tend to be many people that have similar Venmo usernames.
I, unfortunately, have managed to do this myself.
Also, unfortunate, is that Venmo doesn’t leave you with many great options for getting your money back when this happens. All is not lost though.
This is what you can do if you send money to the wrong Venmo account and want to get your money back.
Can You Dispute a Venmo Payment?
You can dispute any payment you made using Venmo if done within 180 days of making the payment.
To dispute a Venmo payment, you must contact Venmo customer support by either calling them at 1-855-812-4430, emailing them at email@example.com, or chatting with their support from within the Venmo app. (2)
Can You Cancel a Venmo Bank Transfer?
You can cancel a Venmo bank transfer if the transfer hasn’t been completed yet. Venmo processes bank transfers in batches. If your bank transfer is in one of the batches that haven’t been completed, then you can cancel the transfer.
To find out if your transfer has been complete and if you can cancel it still or not, you need to contact Venmo customer support.
How to Contact Venmo Customer Support
You can contact Venmo customer support using three different methods.
Phone: Call 1-855-812-4430.
Email: Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chat: Use the chat from within the Venmo app to send a message to the Venmo customer support team.
You can cancel a Venmo payment in situations where the person you sent the payment to has an inactive Venmo account and hasn’t accepted the payment.
If you accidentally sent the Venmo payment to the wrong person, your only options are to request the money back from the person you sent it to and/or contact Venmo customer support for help.
- Business of Apps – https://www.businessofapps.com/data/venmo-statistics/
- Venmo – https://help.venmo.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=624807