Disclaimer: This content is not intended to be financial advice and is for informational purposes only. aTimeforCash is reader-supported. We may earn commissions if you buy through our links at no cost to you.
PayPay is a major force in the digital payments industry. Why is that, you ask?
During the first quarter of 2022, the company handled over five billion payments from 429 active users across 200 countries. Since PayPal is convenient and simple to use, you probably use it to pay for everything online.
There comes a time in every PayPal member’s journey when they must learn how to remove payment sources from their account. It’s a simple process when you know how to do it.
But, you’re here because you don’t know. It’s ok I’m here to show you the steps so you don’t have to worry about random transactions leaving you in the hole.
You will learn how to remove payment sources from your PayPal account in this blog post. Now, let’s get started, shall we?
In This Post:
- How to Remove a Card From PayPal (Step-By-Step)
- How to Remove a Bank Account From PayPal (Step-By-Step)
- Can I Remove My Card From PayPal Without Logging In?
- What Happens if I Remove My Bank Account From PayPal?
- What Happens if I Remove My Card From PayPal?
- What if I Have Problems Removing My Payment Source From PayPal?
- Wrapping Up
It can be frustrating when you’re trying to buy an item online and using PayPal and have ten different payment sources. It’s a great idea to remove old cards from your PayPal account to avoid any mishaps or confusion in the future.
Below are two different ways you can remove a card from PayPal.
- First, go to the website and log into your account
- From the home page look up to the top and click on “Pay & Get Paid”
- Next, click on the option, “Banks and Cards”
From there you can find the bank card you want to remove from your PayPal account. Click on it and you’ll go to another screen giving you the option to remove the card. Again, click on the remove option, and walla the card is gone!
Using the PayPal app is very similar to using the website to remove a card from your PayPal account. But, I’m going to show you the steps, so you know how to get there.
- Go to the PayPal App on your phone
- Look at the bottom of your screen and choose the icon that looks like several debit cards behind one another
- Scroll down until you see your debit cards
- Choose the debit card you want to remove
- Follow the prompts and once again wallah the card is removed
There are a few things to remember when removing a debit card from PayPal. While a transaction is still pending, you’ll have to wait until it is completed before you can remove the card.
It’s also necessary to bring your PayPal account balance back to zero before you can remove the card if it’s negative.
One last thing!
You won’t be able to make instant bank payments if you have a bank account linked to the card. As an alternative, you will receive eChecks. Sadly, it can take up to four days to process.
Sometimes it is easier to add a bank account to your PayPal account, instead of adding only a card. This can make paying bills and doing large transactions much simpler.
But, what if you don’t want the back account on your PayPal anymore. If this happens, you simply have to remove it. Below are the steps to take to remove a bank account from PayPal.
- Log into your account
- Look at the top of the page and click “Pay & Get Paid”
- Choose the option “Banks & Cards”
- Scroll down and you should see the bank account you want to remove
Click on the bank account and choose the option to remove it from PayPal. After doing so, PayPal will ask you again if you want to remove the account.
Of course, yes is the option. Once done the bank account is removed from PayPal.
Here’s how to remove a bank account by using the PayPal app:
- Open your PayPal App and log in
- Look to the bottom and tap on the wallet icon (It’s the one with many debit cards)
- Scroll down until you see the bank account you want to remove
Click on the bank account and follow the prompts. Once complete, the bank account should be deleted from PayPal.
See, it’s pretty simple to remove debit cards and bank accounts from PayPal. Unless you have a negative balance or pending transactions, you’ll have to wait.
Due to one reason or another, you may have more than one PayPal account active. You may have an old PayPal account link to your current debit card.
If so, you may be unable to use the debit card when you try to make a purchase since it is linked to an account you cannot access.
It is impossible to remove a card without logging into your PayPal account. You’ll have to contact customer support. Before you do, try taking these steps first.
- First, gather all the information you have for the old PayPal accounts. This includes email addresses, phone numbers, and passwords.
- Next, you go to PayPal sign-in and click “Problems logging in”
- Follow the directions to see if you can figure out the email and password you have the account.
If you’re still unable to achieve the information to log into the old PayPal account, then contact customer service. No, you don’t want to do it, but it’ll save you a headache. You can contact PayPal customer service at 1-(888)-221-1161.
If you look here on their website, there are other ways you can contact them too. I think it’s cool that you can send a text to get in touch with a customer representative, so try it out when trying to resolve the issue.
When you remove your bank account from PayPal, it’ll no longer be linked to the PayPal account. You will not be able to make purchases through PayPal until you link another bank account.
Also, if you have nothing else linked to your PayPal account, you can’t remove your bank account unless you add a new one beforehand. The process to remove a bank account from PayPal can take up to two to four weeks.
The same with a bank account, if you remove your debit card then it will no longer be linked to your PayPal account. You also won’t be able to send or receive money through PayPal with the removed card.
After removing a card or bank account, contact support immediately for transactions that still went through. The only way to pinpoint the problem and fix it is to see why the transaction still occurred.
Sometimes when trying to remove a payment source from PayPal, it won’t let you do it. This can be due to a pending transaction, being the only payment source, or your balance being negative.
If you have a pending transaction or negative balance, wait a few days for everything to clear. Also, add another payment source before you delete the old one. If you have any other issues, it’s best to contact support to resolve the problem.
When making payments online, PayPal is useful, but you don’t need a million sources to use its services. Adding new payment sources is the best way to avoid any problems.
Now that you know how to do it, take the time to remove the old payment sources. You’ll thank me for it later.