Disclaimer: This content is not intended to be financial advice and is for informational purposes only. aTimeforCash is reader-supported. We may earn commissions if you buy through our links at no cost to you.
What’s going on Apple Pay users (or future Apple Pay users)?!
Are you planning a MUCH needed Target shopping trip and want to know if you can use your Apple Pay and if so, how?
DUH, why else would you be reading this?
Well first things, first – CAN you use Apple Pay at Target?
Does Target Take Apple Pay?
Yes, you can use Apple Pay in-store at Target using your iPhone or Apple Watch as well as by paying using your Apple Card. In addition, you can use Apple Pay on the Target website and Target App.
That’s great right? I thought so too.
So HOW do you use Apple Pay at Target?
If you’re anxiety brought you to this post, don’t worry – I completely understand!
The LAST thing anyone wants to do is look FOOLISH by doing something wrong in front of others (especially if there’s a long line of people in the checkout waiting behind you).
In the following post…
I’ll show you EXACTLY how to use Apple Pay and what you need to know BEFORE you go on that long over due “Tar-jay” (aka Target) shopping spree.
DON’T worry, it’s easier than you may think.
How to Use Apple Pay In-Store at Target
To use Apple Pay in-store at Target, you have to first ensure you have a debit card or credit card linked to your Wallet app.
Otherwise, your Apple Pay doesn’t have source of money.
You can do this by tapping the + symbol in the top right-hand corner of the Wallet app and then either taking a photo of your card or entering your card details manually.
Once you have a card connected to your Apple Pay Wallet, you can use it at Target or anywhere else that accepts Apple Pay.
Anyhow, this is how to use Apple Pay in-store at Target:
A) Using Your iPhone
- Step 1: Quickly double-press the side button on the right outside edge of your iPhone (the same button typically used to turn on and off the screen). If done correctly, you will see your Wallet app open up automatically with an image of your debit card or credit card that you’ve added to your Wallet and a message saying to “Hold Near Reader”.
- Step 2: Hold your iPhone over or near the contactless Target payment terminal with your Wallet app still open on your iPhone (the same payment terminal you’d use to pay with a debit card or credit card). If done correctly, your payment should automatically process and your debit card or credit card associated with your Apple Wallet will be billed.
B) Using Your Apple Watch
- Step 1: Quickly double-press the side button on the right outside edge of your Apple Watch. If done correctly, you will see your Wallet app open up automatically with an image of your debit card or credit card that you’ve added to your Wallet and a message saying to “Hold Near Reader”.
- Step 2: Hold your Apple Watch over or near the contactless payment terminal (typically the same one as you’d use for paying with a debit card or credit card). If done correctly, your Apple watch will beep and the payment will be processed.
Is Using Apple Pay at Target Safe?
The short answer is yes – Apple Pay is a secure way to pay for purchases at Target and any other store that accepts this form of payment.
When you use Apple Pay, your credit or debit card number is not shared with the merchant.
Instead, a unique Device Account Number is used to process the transaction.
This means that your card information remains safe and secure, even if your iPhone or Apple Watch is lost or stolen.
So in other words…
Using Apple Pay is actually SAFER than debit/credit cards.
Are There Fees?
There are no fees associated with using Apple Pay at Target or any other store that accepts it.
The only time you might be charged a fee is if your bank imposes a fee for insufficient funds or something similar.
But that’s to be expected.
Is There a Limit?
There is no limit currently when using Apple Pay aside from the balance you have on the payment source you have linked to your Apple Pay.
However, if you spend over $50 on your purchase, you may be required to provide a signature.
How to Use Apple Pay on the Target Website
I’ve shown you how to use Apple Pay in-store, but what if you’d rather make your purchases using the Target website?
There are a couple of ways.
The first is to simply use your Apple Card during check out (pretty obvious I know).
That’s GREAT and all but wouldn’t it be easier to NOT have to enter you debit card information?
I thought so too…
Thankfully you can – here’s how.
Using an Apple device (typically your iPhone or a MacBook/iPad) during the checkout process on the Target website, choose the “Pay with Apple Pay” option.
You NEED to use an Apple device – otherwise you won’t have the Pay with Apple Pay option.
If you’re using a computer, you need to use the Safari browser as well to see the option.
On iPhone it doesn’t matter which browser you use but if on a computer, you won’t see the Pay with Apple Pay option if you don’t.
How to Use Apple Pay on the Target App
You can use Apple Pay when using the Target App.
This payment option is ONLY available on iPhone (for obvious reasons).
You also have to ensure you have Apple Pay set up on your iPhone before you’ll be able to use it.
To use Apple Pay with your Target app:
- Step 1: Open the Target app and log in to your account (if you aren’t already).
- Step 2: Add the items you’d like to purchase using Apple Pay to your “Cart” in the Target app.
- Step 3: Tap on the “Cart” icon at the bottom of the app.
- Step 4: Tap on the Apple Pay button in the bottom right corner and then double press the side button on your iPhone to confirm your payment. You will need to use your FaceID or use your PIN code when confirming.
That’s all there is to it!
With Apple Pay, you can quickly and easily pay for your purchases at Target without ever having to remove your wallet from your pocket or purse.
What If You Have Problems?
If you’re having trouble using Apple Pay at Target, the first step is to ask a Target employee if they know what the problem might be.
It could be that the specific payment terminal you’re trying to use is having some issues.
If you’re still having trouble after that, though, your best bet is to contact Apple Support and see if they can help you figure out what’s going on.
They should be able to sort out any problems you’re having.
How to Contact Apple Support
To contact Apple support:
- Step 1: Go to Apple’s website and find the support page.
- Step 2: Scroll down and find the “Contact Apple Support” tab.
- Step 3: Click on that tab, and you’ll be taken to a page with a few options for contacting Apple support.
- Step 4: The best option for most people is the “Phone” option.
- Step 5: Click on the “Phone” option and you’ll be given a phone number to call.
- Step 6: When you call that number, you’ll be connected to an Apple support specialist who can help you with your issue.
Make sure to have your issue ready to explain when you call so that the support specialist can help you as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Wrapping Up – How to Use Apple Pay at Target
Apple Pay is a convenient and secure way to pay for goods and services, and Target is one of the many retailers that accept it.
You can use it at Target just as you would anywhere else – simply hold your iPhone or Apple Watch up to the contactless reader and wait for the beep or vibration to confirm your payment.
You can also use Apple Pay on the Target website – just make sure you’re using the Safari browser – and on the Target app on any device.
There are no fees and no limitations when using it at Target, on their website or when using the Target app, so you can shop with confidence knowing that your payment will go through seamlessly.