aTimeforCash is reader-supported. We may earn commissions if you buy through our links.
With nearly 350 million combined users, PayPal and Cash App are two leading players in the digital transactions arena.
If you have both apps on your phone, you may be wondering whether it’s possible to send money from PayPal to Cash App or vice-versa, and if so, exactly how.
Find out more as I dig in and answer this and some of the other common questions about using Cash App With PayPal.
In This Post:
- Are Cash App and PayPal the Same?
- Can Cash App Link to PayPal?
- Can Cash App Receive Money from PayPal?
- Can I Add my Cash App Card to PayPal?
- Can I Link my PayPal Card to Cash App?
- How do I transfer money from PayPal to Cash App?
- Are There Fees for Using PayPal with Cash App?
- Is Using PayPal with Cash App Safe?
- Wrapping Up
Are Cash App and PayPal the Same?
While Cash App and Paypal are popular payment apps, they are not the same and have different functions and abilities.
While you can use both for sending money to others, with Cash App, you can also invest in things like Bitcoin. PayPal has been around a lot longer and is widely used for purchasing items online as well.
RELATED: How Safe is Cash App?
Can Cash App Link to PayPal?
The only way to link Cash App to PayPal is via a Cash App card.
All you need is to log in to PayPal and scroll to the settings. Click on the bank and cards section. You should see all the connected cards. Tap on the add sign tab and add your Cash App card manually as a debit card option. Follow the prompts and click on the link card tab. That will add your Cash App card to PayPal.
With this, you can use the Cash App card as the default payment method or use it as the main source of payments when shopping online or in stores.
Can Cash App Receive Money from PayPal?
No, Cash App can’t directly receive money from PayPal.
Nevertheless, you can transfer funds from PayPal to your bank account, and then add the amount to your Cash App from the bank account.
Can I Add my Cash App Card to PayPal?
Yes, It’s possible to add your Cash App card to PayPal. Linking the card allows you to use your Cash App balance to pay for items in stores and online.
You need to add the card as a payment method in Paypal as it acts as a debit card. The only thing you can’t do is to transfer money to your PayPal balance as the card isn’t a bank account.
However, you should note that you need to have activated your Cash App Card for you to link it up to PayPal. Also, you need to be a verified Cash App user as PayPal needs to trust you. Your Paypal account needs to be verified and your PayPal settings adjusted.
Once you have an activated Cash App card, you need to:
- Click on the PayPal app on your phone
- Tap on the right corner of the PayPal home screen to open the settings
- Some options will be displayed and you should see the connected cards on the screen
- Tap on the + tab at the top right corner
- Choose the add debit card option
- Input your security number and touch ID to proceed
- Add the card number manually and click on Next
- Add the CVV number and expiry date of the Cash App card in the next section
- At the end add the billing address and hit the link card tab.
- The card will be linked to your PayPal and you should see it under the bank and cards column.
At this point, you can make the Cash App Card your primary source of payment in stores and online. The best part is that you can select the card even if you don’t designate it as the default payment method.
If you’re having trouble adding your Cash App Card to Paypal, contact Cash App support for help.
RELATED: How to Use Venmo with Cash App
Can I Link my PayPal Card to Cash App?
Unfortunately, you can’t link your PayPal card to Cash App.
Although Cash App supports credit and debit cards like American Express, MasterCard, Visa, and Discover, it doesn’t support PayPal, ATM cards, or business debit cards.
How do I transfer money from PayPal to Cash App?
Note that there’s no direct way to transfer money from a PayPal account to Cash App or vice versa.
However, you still have another option of moving money from PayPal to Cash App. You’ll have to go an extra step and transfer the money to your bank account first.
The bank account can be a savings or a checking account, the only requirement is that your account needs to handle withdrawals and allow deposits.
Adding Money to Your Bank Account From PayPal
Start by sending money from PayPal to your bank account. To get started, you’ll need to:
- Log into a PayPal account and tap on the Transfer Money tab.
- Tap on the transfer to your bank option.
- Enter the amount of money you’d wish to transfer.
- Confirm all the details and tap on the transfer now option.
- The transaction will now be processed once you click on done.
Adding Money to Your Cash App From Your Bank Account
To now add money to your Cash App from your bank account, you need to:
- Open the Cash App on your phone
- Scroll to your account balance and tap on the Add Cash option. Choose the amount of money you wish to add to your Cash App account.
- Tap on Add and the amount will be automatically added to your Cash App.
- Confirm the transfer by adding your Touch ID or entering your PIN details.
- The money will be available on your Cash App profile once you confirm the transfer.
You can also use the same method to transfer money from your Cash App to your PayPal. Simply click on the Cash out option to transfer funds from your Cash App to the bank. The transfer can take up to 3 business days, but you have the option of paying a fee for an instant transfer.
Log in to your PayPal account and select add money to see the bank accounts connected to PayPal. Alternatively, you can opt to keep the money in the bank account and use it to pay for items via PayPal.
Are There Fees for Using PayPal with Cash App?
There are no fees for using PayPal with Cash App as it’s impossible to transfer funds from PayPal to Cash App directly.
Is Using PayPal with Cash App Safe?
Using PayPal with Cash App is considered safe as PayPal’s servers are encrypted and secured. Cash App also uses fraud detection technology and encryption to ensure that your money is secure.
Nonetheless, you need to understand that payment apps are secure, but they are not foolproof. For example, PayPal may not be prone to data breaches and hacks, but your account may still be at risk of fraud and phishing.
While there’s no direct way to use Cash App with PayPal, It’s still possible to link Cash App to your PayPal via a Cash App card. You can use this card to pay for items through PayPal when you don’t have any funds in your PayPal account.