Disclaimer: This content is not intended to be financial advice and is for informational purposes only. aTimeforCash is reader-supported. We may earn commissions if you buy through our links at no cost to you.
There are currently 361 million active PayPal users and over 50 million Venmo Users. (1)
Both are insanely popular services, to say the least.
If you have PayPal, then you are no doubt familiar with Venmo and vice versa as both are owned by PayPal making it only logical to wonder if you can use them with each other.
Read on to learn more about how to use Venmo and PayPal together and what their limitations with each other are. It might actually surprise you.
In This Post:
- Can You Pay a PayPal Account with Venmo?
- How to Pay a PayPal Account with Venmo (Step-By-Step)
- Can You Pay a Venmo Account with PayPal?
- How to Pay a Venmo Account with PayPal (Step-By-Step)
- Are Venmo and PayPal the Same?
- Do You Need a Venmo Account if I Have PayPal?
- Do You Need PayPal to Use Venmo?
- Can You Log Into Venmo with PayPal?
- Are Venmo and PayPal Safe?
- Can You Use PayPal Credit on Venmo?
- Can You Use PayPal Card on Venmo?
- How Much are Fees when Sending Money from Venmo to PayPal?
- How Much are Fees When Sending Money from PayPal to Venmo?
- Wrapping Up
Can You Pay a PayPal Account with Venmo?
In general, you cannot pay a PayPal account with Venmo – at least not directly. Despite the similarities and connections between the two apps, you will have to link your bank account to both PayPal and Venmo first to transfer funds.
It may not be ideal but surprisingly it’s the only option.
In the next section, I’ll show you exactly how to do this step-by-step.
How to Pay a PayPal Account with Venmo (Step-By-Step)
If you’re trying to pay a PayPal account with Venmo, doing it the first time may be confusing. So, to help you out, we created the exact steps you need to take to pay a PayPal account with Venmo.
- Link both your Paypal and Venmo accounts to your bank account:
- On the PayPal website, select “Link a bank.” If you’re on the mobile app, then you will select “Banks and Cards.”
- On the next screen, you will enter your banking details and then make two small deposits.
- Once done, proceed to your Venmo account.
- Click on Payment Methods when you are in your Venmo settings.
- Next, you’ll enter the same banking information you used for PayPay and choose your verification method.
Can You Pay a Venmo Account with PayPal?
When you shop online sometimes, you will have the option to pay for your items with Venmo when choosing PayPal as payment. So, you think you can pay a Venmo account with PayPal, right?
As a general rule of thumb, you can not pay a Venmo account with PayPal unless you have a PayPal Mastercard. For some reason, Venmo does not support the payment of money from PayPay. So even though PayPal does own Venmo, they still do not give you this option.
How to Pay a Venmo Account with PayPal (Step-By-Step)
So, with that said. Let’s discuss how you can pay a Venmo account with your PayPal Mastercard. First, if you do not have a Mastercard from PayPal, you’ll have to wait until yours comes through the mail.
Now that you have your PayPal Master card. You’ll have to include it in your Venmo account. Below are the steps to take to add your card to your account:
- Open up your Venmo account on your phone, and on the home screen, tap on your profile on the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Next, on your upper left-hand screen, tap on the gear icon for Settings.
- Choose Payment Methods.
- Now choose to add a bank or card. Choose the card option.
- You will then be able to include your PayPal Mastercard information.
Once done, you will be able to pay another Venmo account with your PayPal Mastercard.
Are Venmo and PayPal the Same?
PayPal is the parent company of Venmo, but they’re not the same. As a PayPal service, Venmo allows you to pay at many places you see the PayPal button when using your preferred payment option. (2)
They also wanted to make the process of sending and receiving money as simple and safe as possible for their users. The company aimed to make Venmo a social payment app for consumers. You can, for example, send the exact amount and include a simple thank you note when repaying a friend for lunch.
Do You Need a Venmo Account if I Have PayPal?
No, you don’t have to create a Venmo account if you have PayPal. Although since PayPal does own Venmo, it might be a great idea to create one. Plus, having a Venmo account is a great alternative to having a Cash App.
Do You Need PayPal to Use Venmo?
The reverse is also true! There is no need for a PayPal account to use Venmo. Despite PayPal’s ownership of Venmo, it is a separate company from it. Therefore, you can create a Venmo account without having PayPal.
Can You Log Into Venmo with PayPal?
No, you can not log into your Venmo with PayPal. You can only log into your Venmo account with your user name, email, or phone number. If you need help logging into your Venmo account, make sure to view their sign-in FAQ. (3)
Are Venmo and PayPal Safe?
Yes, Venmo and PayPal are safe to use. When you visit Venmo’s website, you will find that they use encryption protocols to safeguard and protect its users’ personal and financial information.
As a Venmo user, you should also take extra measures to keep your accounts safe. For example, users can also set up PIN codes on their apps if their phone is lost or stolen. You should also only send money to those you trust and keep personal information to yourself.
Your financial and personal information is encrypted by PayPal so that third parties cannot view it. You can trust PayPal to protect your data between your browser and their servers with SSL encryption. Furthermore, their servers and the data you store on them are encrypted.
Can You Use PayPal Credit on Venmo?
Before I answer this question for you, you must know what PayPal credit is. PayPal Credit gives you the freedom to pay for your purchases right away or spread out your payments over time through an open-ended (revolving) credit card account. You can read over PayPal Credit terms here.
Now on to the question, “Can you use PayPal Credit on Venmo? On Venmo, you can use PayPal Credit, though the charge will be a credit card charge.
Can You Use PayPal Card on Venmo?
Yes, you can use a PayPal Card on Venmo. If you need help adding your PayPal card on Venmo, then look in the section of this blog post, “How to pay Venmo Account with PayPal.” There I show you the extract steps to take to add your PayPal Master card into your Venmo account.
How Much are Fees when Sending Money from Venmo to PayPal?
You can make most transfers using Venmo for free. However, there will be a small fee if you wish to make an instant transfer from Venmo to Paypal.
It may be worth waiting for a few business days to avoid paying the excess fees. Venmo transfers usually arrive in your bank account within one to three business days.
How Much are Fees When Sending Money from PayPal to Venmo?
You’ll have to pay a small fee if you want to send money from PayPal to Venmo instantly. A fee of 1.5% of the transaction amount applies.
If the money is coming from your PayPal balance or bank account, there is no fee for the transfer. However, PayPal usually charges as much as 3% if you use a credit card. It is possible to void the fee by waiting for the transfer to hit your account within 1-3 business days.
As you can see, using Venmo with PayPal is not as simple as it may seem. Despite PayPal being the parent company of Venmo, you cannot directly send money or pay while using both services. However, by linking your bank account to the two apps, you can send and receive money between Venmo and PayPal.
- Statista – https://www.statista.com/statistics/218493/paypals-total-active-registered-accounts-from-2010/
- Venmo Help – https://help.venmo.com/hc/en-us/articles/217042898-Purchasing-with-Venmo-Online-FAQ
- Venmo Help – https://help.venmo.com/hc/en-us/articles/210414067-Signing-In-FAQ
- PayPal Objects – https://www.paypalobjects.com/marketing/web/us/en/ppcterms/ppcterms.html